Carpet tiles are replacing conventional tiles and are a dominant force in the flooring industry today. The biggest advantage they carry is easy installation, multiple design possibilities, lower maintenance, and cheap costs. They are also easy to replace in case of any damage when compared to wall-to-wall carpets that need complete replacement.
While installing them is easy, the process to buy carpet tiles online could be tricky considering the variety available out there. We want you to make an informed choice when you select carpet tiles. Your decision to buy carpet tiles online will depend on the location and usage after installation. Below is a guide that can be used at any time to make an informed buying decision.
Carpet Tile Material
Selecting the fiber for your carpet tile should be your first step in order to buy carpet tiles online. The selection of the material should depend on the project it is meant for. You will have an option to select between the following materials –
- Wool – It’s a natural fiber with great texture and is available in a variety of colours. They are fire-resistant but are an expensive option meant for office cabins or residential usage.
- Nylon – Almost 60% to 70% of the fiber used in carpet tiles is nylon. They are highly durable and resilient, and ideal for high foot flow areas such as commercial establishments like airports or shopping malls.
- Polypropylene – These are less durable than nylon and could be used in office settings with a lower footfall. They are generally resistant to stains and mildew.
- Polyester – These are commonly known as PET (polyethylene terephthalate). The material is sourced through the recycling of bottles and fishing nets. It’s an affordable option with enough durability to last for long periods. These are usually meant for usage with low foot traffic.
Carpet Tile Style
Before you move on to other aspects like carpet tile construction, color, and designs, selection of carpet tile style is a very important step to buy carpet tiles online. While the major difference between the three styles below is their processing, your decision would also depend on your budget and the amount of time and money you can spend on maintenance.
- Loop pile carpet tiles are your choice If you are looking for a soft texture and a smooth feel. These are on the expensive side and require regular maintenance.
- Cut pile carpet tiles can be picked when you are looking for more formal styles. These are cheap and easy to maintain.
- Loop and cut pile tiles is a combination of both the style that produces more geometric and abstract designs.
Carpet Tile Construction
Your primary choices would be between tufted carpet tiles which are made using a process where the fiber is punched through a cloth by a needle, woven carpet tiles that are stitched along the side and are primarily made of wool or a blend of wool and nylon, and lastly, needle-punched carpet tiles which are manufactured through the “needling” process where the fibres are entangled by using a needle. When you are in the plannin g to buy carpet tiles online, you can select your construction type based on the following:
- Tufted carpet tiles are cheap as they can be produced in the least amount of time. These are ideal for settings with heavy foot traffic. These are great for most applications but you would prefer woven carpets if you are looking for something more luxurious.
- Woven carpet tiles have been in existence for decades. They are highly durable and can withstand high foot traffic. If you are in the market for luxury carpet tiles and budget is not an issue, woven carpet tiles should be one of your top choices.
Needle-punched carpet tiles are created using latex and are anti-slip in nature. These carpets are generally meant for outdoor use.
Other Key Considerations:
Before we wrap up, there are certain other things that we believe must be given equal importance when you are planning to buy carpet tiles online. You must:
- Pick colours based on the usage of the carpet tiles. Darker colours should be preferred for a heavy footfall.
- Ensure that you are provided with a warranty on your carpet tiles.
- You must also note to buy accredited carpet tiles to ensure that the product meets the standards set by the industry. For example, you can look out for indoor air quality certifications from FloorScore or SCS global services, environmental certifications from Indian Green Building Council, or the U.S. Green building council.
Flooring has never been more affordable and sustainable with a lot more options and designs available than before. Welspun has a wide variety of carpet tiles that are extremely durable, low in maintenance, and even have an antiviral and antimicrobial coating. Our products are sustainably produced and are in compliance with green building practices. Check out the collection here.